Areas of Practice

Child Support

Child Support - Stanley Myers Morgan - Tulsa Law

Across the Tulsa metro and surrounding areas, parents turn to Stanley Myers Morgan for expert representation in child support cases.

We believe it is important for our clients with children under 18 to receive the proper amount entitled by law. Working with both parties, we are able to negotiate fair payments.

By definition, child support (or child maintenance as it is also called) is an ongoing, periodic payment made by a parent for the financial benefit of a child following the end of a marriage or other relationship (typically arranged as part of a divorce, marital separation, annulment, determination of parentage or dissolution of a civil union). In many cases, child support may supplement alimony (spousal support) arrangements.

Child support is paid directly or indirectly by the obligor to an obligee. The obligor is typically a non-custodial parent while the obligee can be a custodial parent, a caregiver, a guardian, or the state. In Oklahoma, the amount paid by the obligor is based upon a complex mathematical formula (called a guideline) established by the state legislature. The Oklahoma Guideline considers a number of factors to determine the amount of child support owed, including:

  • The income (and potential) income of the parents
  • The number of children these parents have together
  • The amount of time each parent spends with the children
  • Support paid for children from other relationships (if any)
  • Expenses such as healthcare and daycare

Stanley Myers Morgan can help calculate the amount you can expect. Our experienced attorneys can also help determine if other costs such as educational expenses or traveling costs for visitation from one parent to another can be included in the amount.

In Oklahoma, child support must be paid until the child’s 18th birthday unless the child has not graduated from high school. If the child has not graduated high school, child support continues until the child graduates or turns 20, whichever occurs first. While Oklahoma law does not give judges the power to make a parent support a child beyond the age of 19 (unless the child is physically or mentally disabled), parents can agree to continue child support into the college years. Such an agreement is enforceable by the Family Law Court.

For a free consultation, please contact us today or call us at (918) 584-2450.